Image Map

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

DIY Laundry Soap

DIY Laundry Soap

I have been very hesitant on trying this recipe. I can usually get good deals on laundry detergent using coupons, but with 8 people living in the house, I usually do about 4-6 loads of laundry a day! That's only about 5 days per 33 load bottle. That's about 6 bottles of detergent a month! That can add up fast! I had to find a cheaper alternative! I needed something that would get out stains from 2 kids, a dirty hubby, farm/yard work and regular dirt and grime...This is what I found:





Since I'm allergic to everything but  Purex, that's what I stayed with. This costed about $10 to make and should last well over 2 months.

  • 1 box of Purex washing powder
  • 1 4lb 12oz box of Borax
  • 2 bars of Fels-Naptha
  • 1 4lb box of Baking Soda
  • 1 4 gallon jar for storing the detergent
  • 1 5 gallon bucket for mixing
  1. I started by grating the Fels-Naptha with a regular cheese grater. I also read that you could also use a food processor, but I would rather do it by hand.
  2. I added all the ingredients in the bucket and mixed them well.
  3. After everything was well mixed, I put everything in the jar and put it out of the kids reach. 

I started out using about 1/8 cup. Everything came out clean! I also added a batch of Homemade Crystal Fabric Enhancer to the soap for softness and everything smells GREAT! 


AMR
Rate My Blog @ Top Mommy Blogs

No comments :

Post a Comment