|DIY Laundry Soap|
I have been very hesitant on trying this recipe. I can usually get good deals on laundry detergent using coupons, but with 8 people living in the house, I usually do about 4-6 loads of laundry a day! That's only about 5 days per 33 load bottle. That's about 6 bottles of detergent a month! That can add up fast! I had to find a cheaper alternative! I needed something that would get out stains from 2 kids, a dirty hubby, farm/yard work and regular dirt and grime...This is what I found:
Since I'm allergic to everything but Purex, that's what I stayed with. This costed about $10 to make and should last well over 2 months.
- 1 box of Purex washing powder
- 1 4lb 12oz box of Borax
- 2 bars of Fels-Naptha
- 1 4lb box of Baking Soda
- 1 4 gallon jar for storing the detergent
- 1 5 gallon bucket for mixing
- I started by grating the Fels-Naptha with a regular cheese grater. I also read that you could also use a food processor, but I would rather do it by hand.
- I added all the ingredients in the bucket and mixed them well.
- After everything was well mixed, I put everything in the jar and put it out of the kids reach.
I started out using about 1/8 cup. Everything came out clean! I also added a batch of Homemade Crystal Fabric Enhancer to the soap for softness and everything smells GREAT!
Rate My Blog @ Top Mommy Blogs